I try my best to eat well, but sometimes when you’re on the go that can be a challenge because most grab and go snacks are filled with a bunch of nasty ingredients! Even if you found a granola bar in a natural health store, chances are there is more sugar and less nutrients than you’d like in that one little bar.
To combat this, I decided to make a huge batch of homemade trail mix I can add to little containers to pop into my bag for those moments when I just can’t wait for the next meal. I’ve been scouring the internet for recipes ideas and I’ve tried many but I keep coming back to this popular trail mix recipe from The Healthy Maven. Her mix is packed full of healthy seeds, nuts, dried fruit and even a little dark chocolate for a snack that tastes so much better than store bought mix and is so much healthier because you control the ingredients! No nasty hydrogenated oils, added salt or sugar here! The pure ingredients are satisfying enough on their own, and mixed together make for a little slice of heaven. Please give her recipe below a try and let me know what you think! I usually adapt the recipe based on what I have at home (for example I don’t eat peanuts so I just used almonds, cashews and walnuts for nuts in my last batch). I also usually just use raisins for dried fruit as they are most cost effective and it’s easy to find varieties with no added oil or sugar.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe! Also if you repost this recipe please be sure to give credit to the original author The Healthy Maven. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts i.e. almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts etc..
- 1 cup raw seeds i.e. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc…
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphured dried fruit
- Fun stuff (amounts vary) i.e. 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, 1 cup popped popcorn, 1 cup pretzels etc..
- Spice i.e. 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 3/4 cup raw pecans (I toast mine in the oven for 10 mins at 350 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (I toast mine in the oven for 10 mins at 350 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped 82% dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a ziploc bag or mason jar.
- Will keep for up to 1 month.